General F.A.Q.s

Q: Do I need an appointment?

Q: How do I set up a charge account?

Q: What are acceptable forms of ID?

Notary F.A.Q.s

Q: Can you notarize my transcripts or diploma?

Q: Can you notarize my I-9?

Q: What other documents can you notarize?

Apostille & Embassy Legalization F.A.Q.s

Q: What is the difference between an Apostille and a Certificate of Authentication?

Q: Which Countries Require Authentication by Apostille? 

Q: Which Countries Require Authentication & Embassy Legalization?

Q: Washington State Notary Certificate/Language

Q: Vital Records

Q: Background Checks/Criminal History Record

Q: Washington State Business Entity Records

Q:Washington State High Schools

Q:Washington State Colleges & Universities

Q:Driver Licenses/Identification

Passport FAQs

Q: Where do I find a guarantor for my Canadian passport/immigration papers?

Fingerprinting F.A.Q.s

Q: Do you do Live-Scan fingerprints?

Q: Do you fingerprint children?

Q: How do I fill out my fingerprint card(s)?

Q: I have very dry hands/low ridges, what do you suggest I use to produce clear prints?

Q: What do I do if my fingerprint cards are rejected?

Q: What do I need to bring with me when I get fingerprinted?

Q: What do I need to do for Canadian Immigration fingerprint cards?

Q: How do I fill out my fingerprint card(s)?

A: These are general instructions for filling out all fingerprint cards. See industry specific instructions and/or consult your employer for additional information.

Click here for card instructions.

Type or print all information in BLACK INK.

Do not fold the fingerprint card.

At minimum, the FBI requires:

  • Name (NAM)
  • Originating Agency Identifier (ORI)
  • Date of Birth (DOB)
  • Sex (SEX)
  • Reason Fingerprinted

Incorrect or incomplete information may result in delay or rejection

Every effort should be made to enter data in all applicable fields.

Do not fold the fingerprint card.

Incorrect or incomplete information may result in delay or rejection

Signature must match the name printed at the top of the card
Enter complete residential or mailing address
Leave blank, official will sign here
Enter potential employer and address
See your instructions or enter position or license sought, leave blank if you are unsure
Last Name, First Name Full Middle Name
Doe, Jeffrey Mark Jr.
Suffixes (i.e. Jr., Sr., III, etc.) should follow the middle OR first name.
Maiden names and other names used by the subject that do not match the NAME section
Enter requesting agency’s ORI number
Enter country of citizenship (e.g. US, Canada, Mexico)
*Most applicants can leave this blank
Leave blank
Leave blank
Leave blank
Nine digits
Leave blank
SEX-FBI requires this to be entered
M: Male
F: Female

Enter appropriate code, you may leave this blank or choose one:

Asian or 
Pacific Islander 
Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Polynesian, Indian, Indonesian, Asian Indian, Samoan, or Pacific Islander
Black  A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa
American Indian or Alaskan Native  American Indian, Eskimo, or Alaskan Native, or a person having origins in any of the 48 contiguous states of the United States or Alaska who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition
White  Caucasian, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
Enter height expressed in feet and inches using three (3) digits, no other marks (i.e., If 6’0″, write 600)
Enter weight expressed in pounds using three (3) digits (i.e., If 95lbs, write 095)
BLONDE (or strawberry) BLN
GRAY (or partially gray) GRY
RED (or auburn) RED
Six digits (e.g., MM DD YYYY)
Outside the U.S.: Enter country name only
Within the U.S.: Enter Postal abbreviation of the state (e.g., WA)


Back to Top

Industry Specific Instructions

We are not affiliated with MorphoTrust, Identigo or FieldPrint.  Applicants for the following licenses must contact their MorphoTrust, Identigo or FieldPrint representative:

  • Mortgage brokers
  • Department of Early Learning applicants
  • Real estate applicants
  • Marijuana licensing applications
  • WA Dept. of Early Learning
  • WA DOL


Back to Top

California Nursing License Applicants:

If you are outside the State of California, you may submit a hardcopy card. The California Board of Nursing will send you an agency specific card.

  • One (1) FBI-Applicant card (FD-258).
  • You must fill out the boxes marked with a black “X” on the card.The current fingerprint processing fee for DOJ and FBI is $49.00 and is payable to the Board of Registered Nursing by check or money order in U.S. currency. This fee is not refundable and is subject to change by the DOJ and FBI without notice.


Back to Top

Escrow Applicants/Officers:

  • Two (2) FBI-applicant (FD-258) fingerprint cards. Blank fingerprint cards are also available from DFI or our office upon request.
  • Must be fingerprinting within six (6) months of your application.
  • Fingerprint processing fee $32.00, made payable by check or money order to the “Washington State Treasurer.”


Back to Top

FINRA requires the following:

  • Agency specific card contains a barcode or barcode sticker.   If using a barcode sticker, the sticker should be placed in the “Your No: OCA” field on the card.
  • Always complete the employer’s name, address, and Org ID number on every fingerprint card submitted.
  • Review the following data on the card for accuracy:
      • Individual’s Name
      • CRD Number (if applicable)
      • Social Security Number (if applicable)
      • Date of Birth
      • Place of Birth
      • Sex
      • Height
      • Weight
      • Hair color
      • Eye color


    Back to Top

Gambling License Applicants:

  • One (1) FBI applicant (FD-258) fingerprint card.

In the “Reason Fingerprinted” box print:

Gambling License Applicant
RCW 9.46.070

In the “ORI” box print:


Back to Top

Teacher Certification (SPI Certification) Applicants:

  • One (1) FBI-applicant card (FD-258)
  • One envelope, at least 8in. x 11in. with adequate postage addressed to:

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
ATTN: Fiscal Office

P.O. Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200

  • One money order, cashier’s check or personal/business check in the amount of $43 made payable to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction.

ORI: WA 920310Z

Reason Fingerprinted: School District Employees/ Contractors/28A.400 RCW

Employer and Address:

  • SPI Applicants:  “SPI Certification”
  • Washington State College/University Applicants: College/University name and address


Back to Top

Other Industry Specific Instructions.
Read and follow all instructions provided by your employer. Information boxes, except for “Reason Fingerprinted,” “Employer Name and Address,” and “ORI,” are generally the same for all industries.

Back to Top

Q: Do you do LivesScan fingerprints?
A: At this time, we do not offer Live Scan fingerprinting.

Back to Top

Q: How do I apply for my passport?
A: Currently, this is not a service that we offer and we are not an authorized passport acceptance agency. We only sell passport and immigration photos.

For passport information, contact the Department of State.

Back to Top

Q: I have very dry hands or flat fingerprints, what do you suggest I use to produce clear prints?
A: We suggest that you drink plenty of water, wash your hands with warm water and a dishwashing liquid (i.e. Palmolive or Dawn). Dry your hands and apply a moisturizing lotion (i.e. Cornhuskers or Jergens).

Back to Top

Q: Do I need an appointment?
A: No appointment is necessary for walk-ins. If you wish to schedule mobile services please call us at 425.603.1033.

Back to Top

Q: Do you fingerprint children?
A: We have two options for child fingerprinting: Child fingerprint card that includes a palm print, a photo, and space for the child’s name, address, and date of birth or a standard FBI FD-258 card with a photo.

Please see the schedule of charges for applicable fees.

Back to Top

Q: How do I set up a BFS charge account for my employees?
A: To set up a charge account please fill out a BFS charge account sheet and mail it to our office.


Send your employees to our office with the following information:

    • Company Name
    • Billing Address
    • Billing Dept. Phone Number
    • Purchase Order # (if applicable)
    • Employee Business Address
    • Employee Office Phone Number
    • Employee Name
    • Employee Home Address
    • Employee Home Phone Number
    • After your account is established, simply send your employees to our office.


Back to Top

Q: What do I need to bring with me when I get fingerprinted?
A: Read your instructions carefully, different licenses and certifications require different cards and additional fingerprint requirements. See specific instructions for more information.

To be fingerprinted you will need the following information and items:

  • At least one piece of government issued ID
  • Fingerprint card(s)(if you have them)
  • Know how many fingerprint cards you will need and what they are for (i.e. SPI certification, school district employee, mortgage broker license, LPO exam, etc.)
  • Employer’s name and address
  • For in office charge accounts, your business card or completed BFS charge account sheet.


Back to Top

Q: What forms of ID are acceptable?
A: Identifications MUST be current (not expired) and show:

  • Date of birth,
  • signature, AND
  • a photo.

Types of acceptable ID

  • Driver’s License, Instruction Permit OR state ID card from any U.S. State, U.S. Territory and District of Columbia
  • Valid Washington State Temporary Driver’s License or ID card
  • Driver’s license or Instruction Permit OR state ID card from any Canadian Province.
  • Military ID, US Coast Guard ID/Merchant Marine ID
  • Official U.S. or Foreign Passport
  • Washington State Tribal Enrollment Card (No expiration date required)
  • U.S. Work Visa w/ Photo
  • Dept. of Defense CAC
  • Foreign Driver’s License w/ Date of Birth, Photo, and Full Name

Types of Identification We Cannot Accept

  • Hole Punched ID
  • Student ID
  • Credit Card w/ Picture
  • Birth Certificate
  • International Driver’s License

Secondary Identification

If your employer or requesting agency requires two forms of ID, you will need to provide one of the following

  • Bank Statement w/current name and address
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Credit Card (no prepaid debit cards)
  • Pay Stub
  • School ID w/ photograph
  • Official Tribal Document
  • Vehicle Registration/Title
  • Voter ID Card

Minors may present school ID with photo and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The parent/guardian must also present one of the following identification documents AND your relationship to the child must be evident from the documents you provide.

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

Back to Top

Q: What do I do if my fingerprint cards are rejected?
A: We guarantee our prints to pass inspection by the FBI and the Washington State Patrol. If your fingerprint cards are rejected, return to our office with your receipt* or rejected cards and we will reprint you for free until they pass.

We do not offer refunds.

*If you charged your fingerprints to a company account, you just need to provide your name and your employer’s name.

Back to Top

Q: Canadian Immigration Fingerprinting:

  • One FBI FD-258 fingerprint card

In the “Reason Fingerprinted” box, print “Canadian Immigration”

Send your completed fingerprint card and processing fee to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Criminal Justice Information Services Division

Attn: SCU, Mod. D-2,
1000 Custer Hollow Road,
Clarksburg, West Virginia, U.S.A., 26306

The processing fee must be made by certified check or money order payable to “Treasury of the United States”.

For more information on Canadian Immigration, please contact the Canadian Embassy.

Back to Top

Q: Where do I find a guarantor for my Canadian passport/immigration papers?
A: Canadian passport and immigration applications require a guarantor’s signature on the application and photos. If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, a notary public can act as your guarantor, but you must provide a complete form PPT 132 “Statutory Declaration In lieu of Guarantor” available from any Canadian passport office. ”

The “Statutory Declaration In lieu of Guarantor” form must be sworn or declared before, and signed by, a person authorized by law to administer an oath or affirmation. If completed outside Canada, a qualified official includes a Canadian or British diplomatic or consular representative, or a qualified local official.

Eligible guarantors for Canadians residing in the United States

  • Your guarantor must:
  • Be a citizen of Canada or the United States and must be accessible to the Passport Office for verification.
  • Have known you personally for at least two years.
  • Be included in one of the following groups:
  • Chiropractor
  • Dentist
  • Judge
  • Lawyer
  • Magistrate
  • Medical doctor
  • Notary public
  • Pharmacist
  • Police officer
  • Signing officer of a bank or trust company, or of a financial institution that offers the full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits and savings)
  • Veterinarian

For more information on Canadian Immigration, please contact the Canadian Embassy.

Back to Top


Notary Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can you notarize my transcripts or diploma?
A: We can notarize a copy of your diploma but we cannot notarize transcripts.

K-12 transcripts must be original and signed by the Principal, Vice Principal, Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent.  You must specifically request the signature of the Principal, Vice Principal, Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent.

College or University transcripts must be original and signed by the Registrar, Associate Registrar, President or Vice President.

Your original or duplicate high school diploma is signed by the Principal, Vice Principal, Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent. We can notarize a copy of these.

Your original or duplicate college or university diploma is signed by the President or Vice President.  We can notarize a copy of these.

Back to Top

Q: Can you notarize my I-9?
A: It is a common misconception that Form I-9 requires notarization. While U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does permit an “Authorized Representative” to complete the document on behalf of employers, it does not require nor ask for a notarial act.  The I-9 form does not include a notarial certificate nor does it allow space for a notary to affix his or her seal.  Therefore, we cannot notarize your Form I-9 but we can act as an authorized representative on your behalf but we will only do so with prior written authorization from the employer.

To engage our services as your Authorized Representative, fill out our Form I-9 Employment Verification Representative Authorization OR provide us with a similar authorization document and direct your employee to our office to complete the Form I-9.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are supplying your own authorization form, please ensure your form is properly formatted .  Often, improperly formatted authorization forms that request only a notary act as the Authorized Representative also ask the notary to sign the document and notarize their own signature. However, notaries are not permitted to notarize their own signatures.

In the capacity of your designated Authorized Representative, we can complete the Form I-9 on behalf of an employer.  The Authorized representative will review Section 1 for completeness and execute the required employer responsibilities in Section 2 and/or Section 3. The Authorized representative will physically examine, record and make copies of each of the original documents the employee presents to complete Form I-9 and mail them back to the employer.

Back to Top

Q: What other documents can you notarize?
A: Some of the documents we frequently notarize:


  • Employee Contracts
  • Degree and Training Certificates
  • Affidavits of Experience
  • Corporate Board Member Signatures

Personal Documents

  • Affidavits & Depositions
  • Affidavits of Unauthorized Use of Credit Cards
  • Certified Letters
  • Certified Signatures
  • Name and Signature Affidavits
  • Vital Record Applications/Authorizations
  • Immigration Documents
  • Passport Applications
  • Letters of Recommendation
  • Promissory Notes
  • Insurance Releases
  • Bills of Sale for Motor Vehicles
  • Vehicle VIN Verifications
  • Personal Loan Contracts
  • Diploma Copies
  • Translation Declarations

Family & Estate Planning

  • Adoption Documents
  • Advance Health Care Directives
  • Authorizations for Foreign Travel with a Minor
  • Cohabitation Agreements
  • Divorce Settlements
  • Domestic Partner Affidavits
  • Health Care Directives
  • Health Certificates for Foreign Travel with Pets
  • Parent Authorizations
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Prenuptial Agreements
  • Structured Settlements
  • Trusts and Transfers
  • Wills

Real Estate

  • Loan Applications
  • Deed Transfers
  • Deeds of Trust
  • Grant Deeds
  • Homeowner Association Documents
  • Leases
  • Lien Affidavits
  • Multi-party Easements
  • Planned Unit Development Documents
  • Property Damage Releases
  • Quit Claim Deeds
  • Road Maintenance Agreements
  • Sales and Rental Agreements
  • Titles